The Daemonette Mutant is coming along. I’ve got pictures of her in her current state, but she will most likely be changing a bit. I’m not sure if I like the claw arm or the hair. I have no idea what to do for the claw arm, mainly the part before the claw. It’s currently a reddish but it doesn’t look right. The hair looks fine how it is now, but I think I might want to change it to a bright, fiery red instead of the darker red.
The Marauder Mutant is fully finished, based and coated with a Matte finish spray. I also based and finished my Magister and Possessed. I used Ben’s basing method for the bases to give a rough ruins look instead of doing cobblestone. You’ll also notice that the pictures look much better. I used Hyun’s guide to taking photos of your miniatures to learn how to take some better pictures, and I am now using Picasa to touch them up before posting. Oddly enough I switched to a lower quality camera for these pictures, as my usual camera was not available. Read more »
The Marauder Mutant is just about done. I actually thought I was finished and then realized I forgot to do his shield, oops! I touched up a few places, painted his beard and the rest of his helmet. I painted over the spikes with bleached bone, they drybrushed them with skull white. At the base of the spikes I added some Red Gore to make it look like the spikes pushed out through his skin, leaving him a bit bloodied. After all the base painting was pretty much done I washed over most of the model with Devlan Mud. I had heard a lot of good things about it but this was my first time using it. I have to say I was quite impressed!
I should be doing the shield and putting him on a base this weekend. I’ll also be starting work on the Daemonette Mutant as well. She’s a bit smaller and a little less detail heavy so I should be able to finish that much quicker. Anyway, enjoy the new pics!
I finally got a chance to start painting my mutants. The Marauder mutant is mostly finished, but still has some work to be done. Mainly, I need to do the spikes, color his beard, and put some washes on him, but he also will be getting a shield on his third arm which I have not painted yet.. I am fairly happy with how the green stuff bits turned out. This is my first attempt at painting a model in several years. For some reason I can’t seem to figure out drybrushing again, even though I’ve done it before. It just doesn’t look right. It’s hard to tell on this guy, but his pants have been drybrushed with codex gray over the base of black. His boots were also drybrushed some as well.
I decided to keep his main clothing colors black and blue to match the rest of the warband. I wanted to keep his skin tone to a human looking color instead of going another color since he’s got demon in him so that it’s easy to differentiate between the mutants and possessed. My two possessed models will be Red/Pinkish and Blue/Purplish while the two mutants will be mainly flesh colored.
I just wanted to post a quick update to show off the progress on the mutants. Yesterday I finished the modeling of both of the mutants so they are ready to paint! I made a few minor changes to both of them. The daemonette mutant now has a spear instead of the axe. I cut down the arm a little bit as well because it was just too long. The marauder mutant got spikes. I added 7 spikes to the shoulder area where the new arm was placed. I was considering adding something else but I couldn’t think of anything that was simple enough and would fit nicely on the existing model. The spikes and extra arm should hopefully be enough to make it stand out as a mutant after it’s painted. With any luck, I’ll be able to get them primed and painted this week. Read more »