After moving I’ve not had the space to play tabletop games too often lately. The table that we built previously is located over an hour away from me now so I don’t get to use it. We managed to find the space to fit a folding table recently so I decided to set to work building another table. This one is a lot smaller than the other table and is of a slightly improved design. You can also keep up to date with this over in the full table gallery.
Well, I would consider the first Mordheim game on our new table a success. We had five people show up, three of which had played Mordheim before and two who were new to Games Workshop games completely. It was a beautiful day so we pulled the table out of Tewfik’s garage and put it under some cover outside. We spent about 6 or 7 hours and managed to finish one full game. We did spend a few hours training the new people and letting them play a few rounds of a game so they knew what was going on before we started the big game. Since we didn’t have any finished terrain pieces we decided to play on the bare table and not actually use the blocks. We just used the cardboard houses and other random bits that we had, so it’s not much to look at right now.
My girlfriend, who was one of the people new to Games Workshop games, also made us a Mordheim cake, a ruined house on some cobblestone, in celebration of the first event on the new table. Here are some pics of the cake:
We set up the table this weekend to test out how the blocks all fit together and to see how it looked. We should probably be a little more careful with the measurements of the blocks, but it seems like it works pretty well. I think once the pieces are finished the gaps between the blocks will be less noticeable. It’s pretty exciting to see the whole thing finally coming together.
The pics below are with only half of the table open. I hadn’t thought about it before but since we have an 8’x4′ table then we can actually leave one side of the table down and still have a 4’x4′ area to play a small game which can save some room from opening the full board out. If we get enough people over to play we can pull up the other side and do either a 6’x4′ board or 2 4’x4′ boards.
So, here you go… pics of the table with terrain blocks (and a few of my Possessed figures and Tewfik’s Bretonnian figures) set up for 4’x4′. You can click on the images for the full size versions.
The table itself is finished and functional, though we will probably decorate and stain it to make it aesthetically pleasing. It’s a little bit taller (it’s 44″ tall) than we had initially planned on due to changing some of the plans as we went. Essentially, the wheels work by making sure the middle legs with the wheels would be sticking out when the sides folded down, so the legs had to be longer than the sides, which we made 3.5′ each (with a 1′ middle section).
In order to give more support, we added a support beam across the two middle legs. We thought about a few different ways to do this.
We worked out some new ideas for the legs. We decided that since the tabletop was already so heavy, we wanted to put wheels on the bottom so it could be moved easily. Read more »
This is the adventure of two guys (with the help of a girl, too) as they attempt to build the ultimate modular tabletop gaming table. We decided to build our own table from scratch to fit the design we wanted. The basic idea was to create a lipped table with various size terrain blocks so that we could mix and match them for different terrain configurations.
This is a work in progress. The table is (mostly) done, but the terrain is just being started.
We started with a basic folding table design. The sides were to fold up, and the legs were to fold under.