We started on creating some terrain. We took 1/2″ styrofoam insulation and glued it to 1/4″ particle board to create the blocks. We started by creating blocks of various sizes; 8 12″ squares, 2 18″ squares, 3 6″ squares, a 6″x12″ block, and a 6×18″ block.
We started working on the 6″ square first, with the intentions of creating a small block with a destroyed well. We primed the styrofoam which ate away at it a little, but this gave it a more textured look. We used a textured spray paint as a base for the tile. The goal is to create a destroyed well in the center with cobblestone around it.
While that was drying we started on the 6″x18″ block. We decided to make this the crash site for the meteor. We found a rock to use as the meteor, and dug through the styrofoam by scraping the rock along it look like it hit and slid along the ground.
We based this block in the same way as the 6″ square with the primer and textured spray.
The based meteor track with meteor rock.
We kept the shavings from the styrofoam to use as debris. Next up is to make the path look like dug up dirt, with a pile of debris at the end of the trail in front of the meteor. We also plan to create some destroyed buildings to place in the path.